Of late we have been dealing with an increasing number of phone-related issues. We have therefore taken the decision that, as of Monday 4 September, mobile phones are banned in school. Please see below the mobile phones policy, a copy of which will be in your child’s planner next year:
The school recognises that mobile phones and digital devices are an integral part of young people’s culture. However, mobile phones on school site are having a hugely detrimental effect on the focus, concentration and engagement of our young people, which is seriously affecting their learning.
Therefore, mobile phones are not permitted out on school site at any time.
- Mobile phones are not permitted during lessons.
- Headphones are not permitted. If seen, they will be confiscated and can be collected from Main Reception at the end of the school day by your child. If headphones are confiscated more than once then a parent will be asked to collect the headphones.
- A mobile phone seen out during the school day will be confiscated and may be collected from Main Reception at the end of the school day by your child. If a phone is confiscated more than once then a parent will be asked to collect the phone.
- Use of mobile phones to engage in cyber bullying, at any time, is not tolerated, and may result in the phone being passed to the police.
- Use of photo, video and snapchat apps whilst students are in school uniform are not permitted.
- Should a student need to carry a mobile for emergencies it should be switched off throughout the school day and kept in a safe area of the student’s bag.
- Mobile phonecalls during the school day are not permitted. Students can utilise the main office or wellbeing office to contact home should they need to in the case of an emergency.
Please support us by refraining from contacting your child by mobile phone during the school day. Should you need to get a message to your child, please go through the Main Office on 02920845100.
Being a sixth former in Radyr Comprehensive School is seen as a privilege. Therefore, these rules apply to sixth formers in all areas of the school community other than the sixth form block, where appropriate and respectful use of mobile phones and headphones will be permitted.
These expectations will be shared with your child in form tutor periods and assemblies on three different occasions before the end of term. We would be most grateful if you would support us in reinforcing these expectations to your child at home.
Miss C Robins